The mission of Fairmont State University Writing Center is to assist all students in improving their writing abilities and critical thinking skills in relation to their university education and in preparation for their respective careers as well as to support faculty members who teach writing, regardless of discipline.
The university writing center will:
Provide an accessible, comfortable, collaborative environment for all writers in support of the University's focus on retention and completion.
Foster the growth and confidence of writers by clarifying and promoting techniques or effective writing and critical reading and thinking.
Enhance the academic experience of writing tutors by providing professional development and encouraging self-reflection on their roles as writers and writing consultants.
Serve as a writing resource for the University community through the Writing Center web page, presentations, and workshops.
- The primary function of the Writing Center is to teach writers. We will work with students on any writing task; however, we do NOT provide editing services.
- To ensure productive conferences, writers are asked to bring only one project per session.
- Writers may schedule one 30-minute session per day and up to three 30-minute sessions per week.
- Writers must schedule a session at least one hour ahead of time to ensure they receive assistance; the Center cannot accommodate walk-ins unless there is a tutor on duty who does not have a scheduled appointment.
- Writers who are more than 10 minutes late for a scheduled appointment will be considered "no-shows" and walk-ins can then be accepted by the tutor with whom the appointment was scheduled.
- In order to make the best use of available time, writers are strongly encouraged to bring to a session all materials related to the project, including current/previous drafts (preferably in hard copy) and assignment descriptions/grading rubrics provided by the instructor.
- Projects to be reviewed cannot exceed 15 pages in length without prior approval.
- Writers are welcome to use the Center's materials and resources, but may not remove them from the Center.
- The computers in the Center are reserved for tutors and for writers during tutoring sessions.
- Please silence all phones and electronic devices while visiting the Center.
- Students may "hang out" in the Center only if no tutoring sessions are occurring. Students who engage in disruptive behavior may be asked to leave.
- The refrigerator, coffee maker, and phone in the Center are for the use of tutors and faculty only.
- The Fairmont State University Writing Center conforms to all FSU policies concerning diversity, accessibility, equal opportunity, and privacy.
Peer tutoring for Math courses is available Monday through Friday at varying times (please see schedule on this page).
Additional Tutoring Services
Additional tutoring services are available to Fairmont State University students through the Pierpont Tutoring Services Center.