Grant applications are often submitted online through the grantor’s website or portal.
If needed, be sure to register well in advance of the application deadline on the
funder’s website. Additional steps are required for federal grants, so check with
OGSP to determine whether they will submit the application via grants.gov or whether
you will need to submit it yourself.
If the granting agency requires submission through their own system, copy the application
sections into a word processing document so that you can more easily draft responses
and make necessary edits prior to submission. Note any word or character limits so
that you are easily able to tailor your responses.
As you draft your grant application/responses, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- While describing your project, communicate the impact this project will have rather
than the need for funding.
- Seek to communicate the relevance of your project to the funder’s mission.
- Mirror the verbiage found in the request for proposals.
- Ensure that all your responses are accurate and complete.
- Allow enough time for review by partners, stakeholders, and OGSP staff.
- If a draft proposal review process is offered by the funder, take advantage of this.
- Begin preparation of additional documents as soon as possible.
- Cement institutional commitments needed while in the draft phase.
Format your proposal, including any attachments, exactly the way it is defined in
the RFP, including but not limited to line spacing, font type, font size, margins,
page numbering, and file format. Pay special attention to the order of the specific
Once you have a working draft of your grant, file a Proposal Certification Form with OGSP at least 10 days prior to the grant deadline. This form needs to be accompanied
by a draft of the application, a budget, and Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval
if needed. OGSP staff will review your proposal, budget, and other application materials
for compliance to institutional guidelines and policies, to offer suggestions to strengthen
your proposal, and to make sure all aspects of the funder’s application process have
been adequately addressed. Please note that OGSP’s written approval is required prior
to submitting any proposal or application for external funding.