Accessibility Services - Students

Obtaining Accessibility Services

It is the responsibility of the student to self-identify as having a qualifying disability and to seek and obtain specific accommodations, aids and services. Fairmont State University cannot assume responsibility for providing accommodations or services to students who have not identified themselves to the Office of Accessibility Services as having a qualifying disability.

To register for accessibility services, students must schedule an appointment with the Office of Accessibility Services and provide staff with documentation of their disabilities (statement/documentation of diagnosis and the problem(s) created by the disability). Through individual consultation, accommodation, and service, the Accessibility Services staff will:

  • Engage in an interactive process with each student to understand how his/her/their disability intersects with the institutional environment and how accommodation(s) would reduce barriers.
  • Ensure that accommodations do not fundamentally alter essential components of the course, program, activity, or experience.
  • Monitor the utilization and effectiveness of individual accommodations and consult with students, faculty, and staff as needed.

The established method for informing faculty members and other identified institutional personnel of students’ rights to specific identified accommodation(s), and to determine the reasonableness of identified accommodations is as follows:

  • Students are provided with letters outlining reasonable accommodations during their initial meeting in our office and are required to provide these letters to their faculty members during a private meeting.
  • As the needs for each class may differ, the determination of applicable accommodations is a collaborative effort between students and each of their faculty.
  • The student and faculty will determine which accommodations will be used for the class and each party will retain a copy of the letter. 
  • An additional signed copy will be provided to the Office of Accessibility Services to be kept in the student’s file.
  • When necessary, follow-up appointments and/or referrals to other support services are scheduled.
  • Should the student later decide that other accommodations are necessary for their success,the student must schedule an appointment with the Office of Accessibility Services to discuss the possibility of additional accommodations.
  • Students must provide their professors with a copy of their accommodation letter each semester in order to receive accommodations for that semester.

If the student encounters any problems related to their accommodations and/or disability, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Accessibility Services promptly to initiate the resolution of problems. Faculty and staff are not responsible for the provision of accommodations that have not been requested in a timely manner (e.g., five (5) business days for testing accommodations).  

Steps to Register with the Office of Accessibility Services

  1. Complete the entire registration form.
  2. Call 304-333-3661 to schedule an appointment for an intake.
  3. Provide official documentation of your disability.
  4. Contact your local Division of Rehabilitation Services for additional resources. In West Virginia, call toll free 1-800-642-8207.

If you have questions regarding the registration process, please call 304-333-3661.


In order to qualify for services offered by the Office of Accessibility Services, a student should provide official documentation to a member of our staff at the initial meeting. The student’s disability should be diagnosed by a qualified professional and include a clear statement of the student’s disability. It is preferable that the documentation includes the student’s needs, the impact the disability has on the student, and recommendations for reasonable accommodations. Appropriate documentation is one of the following:

  • a letter from your health care provider that is typed, on letterhead, dated, and contains all of the information in this sample letter
  • a complete evaluation report
  • an IEP or 504 Plan from your school
  • documentation from a previous institution of higher education

Provisional accommodations may be granted for no longer than one semester without complete documentation, so long as the evidence presented supports the presence of a disability. Students are required to obtain sufficient documentation for continuation of services beyond one semester.