While each club team may choose whether it wishes to have a coach or instructor, the
Department of Intramurals recommends that competitive teams have a coach who is at
least 21 years of age (This may be a requirement of some leagues or conferences.)
The Department of Intramurals is not responsible for the selection, training, supervision,
or compensation of coaches or instructors. They should be selected on the basis of
their expertise and experience in the sport, certifications as appropriate, personal
references, and their perceived ability to relate to club members. It is suggested
that the club provide the coach/instructor with a position description that includes
his/her responsibilities and authority. Several forms, including a Coach/Instructor
Application and a Club and Coach/Instructor Agreement, are available for club use.
The responsibilities of the coach/instructor should include:
- Following risk control and safety guidelines as established by the club, the Department
of Intramurals, and/or any other governing bodies for the sport or activity.
- Coordinating practices/classes and providing instruction and training that will help
club members to develop and improve their skills.
- Providing on-court/on-field management for competitions.
- Promoting fair play and sportsmanship at all practice/class sessions and competitions.
- Abiding by all applicable rules and regulations of Fairmont State University and any
conference, league, or association to which the club may belong.
- Conducting himself/herself in a professional manner that will reflect positively upon
the club and Fairmont State University.
- Ensuring that all required documents are completed and turned into the Department
of Intramurals & Recreation
If you have questions regarding the Club Sports Program, please contact J.R. Lowery at John.Lowery@fairmontstate.edu or (304) 333-3776.