Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer
ADA Information and Requests Impact

ADA Information and Requests

Fairmont State University is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees, including those with disabilities. Consistent with its obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008, Fairmont State provides reasonable workplace accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities. For more information regarding federal laws prohibiting job discrimination based on disability, please review this poster entitled, “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law,” prepared by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

How Do I Request an Accommodation?

Employees and applicants for employment are responsible for self-identifying and for requesting reasonable accommodations for a disability in the workplace and/or during the application process. Requests for reasonable ADA accommodations should be submitted using the REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION REQUEST FORM. The purpose of this form is to assist the University in determining whether the individual making the request is a qualified University employee or applicant for employment and whether any effective and reasonable accommodation that do not cause an undue hardship and/or, in the case of current employees, do not require the University to alter the employee's essential job duties are available. This form is the first step in the interactive accommodation request process.  Current faculty and staff are encouraged to complete and return the request form prior to requesting workplace accommodations. 

The University may request sufficient medical documentation from an appropriate health care provider or rehabilitation professional for disabilities that are not obvious. If a disability is not obvious, employees requesting reasonable accommodations are required to submit a MEDICAL INQUIRY FORM IN RESPONSE TO AN ACCOMMODATION REQUEST FORM (for applicants and employees) and/or a MEDICAL INQUIRY FORM IN RESPONSE TO A REQUEST FOR LEAVE AS AN ACCOMMODATION FORM (employees) on or before fifteen (15) working days of submitting the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form.

All forms must be submitted to:

Ashley Maxey
225 Hardway Hall
Office: (304) 367-4113
Fax: (304) 367-4850

How Do I File a Concern or Complaint?

In regard to the campus community, the University follows the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, GINA, and current case law. Inquiries regarding discrimination or harassment based upon disability should be referred to:

Jessica Kropog Furgason
Title IX and Compliance Coordinator
208 A Hardway Building
Office: (304) 367-4689

Additionally, the U.S. Department of Justice regulates and enforces key mandates of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  They have an online ADA Complaint form for filing complaints electronically under the law.  Or to receive a paper ADA complaint form by mail, contact The U.S. Department of Justice at (800) 514-0301 (voice) or (800) 514-0383 (TTY).

Fairmont State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action and prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, parental status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.  To provide an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our community and to ensure that educational and employment decisions are based on individuals’ abilities and qualifications, Fairmont State University affirms our commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to institutional facilities.  Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Director of Affirmative Action and Title IX/Section 504 Coordinator, 225 Hardway Hall, at (304) 367-4113, or to