Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer
Exemptions Impact


Reasons for Exemption

Although we review each exemption request on a case-by-case basis, we do offer a few guidelines for our most common exemptions.  While meeting one of these examples does not guarantee an exemption, it is a great place to start.  Most requests that do not meet at least one of our five guidelines are denied, but you are welcome to submit them for review if the situation is outside of our usual consideration.  Each exemption request must be turned in with supporting documentation. 

  1. Living with a parent or legal guardian within 50-mile driving distance of the Fairmont campus

    Submit a letter from the parent or guardian that contains the following: The parent's name, the student's name, the full address, and the parent's signature. This does NOT include living arrangements with someone other than a parent or legal guardian, nor living independently. A signed lease will not suffice for evidence for this claim.The Office of Housing and Residence Life will determine whether the location is within 50 miles based upon estimated average travel time, which may cause our distance to differ from other estimates. Your permanent address (at the time of admission to Fairmont State) must be with your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and within a 50-mile radius of Fairmont and be in the same county as the high school from which you are graduating/ have graduated.

  2. You are twenty-one (21) years of age or older

    Submit a copy of your driver's license, birth certificate, or other federal/state ID with printed date of birth. 

  3. You are married

    Submit a copy of your marriage certificate. 

  4. Single parent with custody of child (children)

    Include a copy of the child's birth certificate, documentation that indicates the child's permanent address matches the parent's, and a copy of the child’s medical insurance card OR a copy of a court-ordered custody agreement in which the student is named legal custodian or guardian of the child.

  5. You have documented medical circumstance which we cannot accommodate

    Include a letter from a physician's office with physician's verification on official letterhead. Be aware that we will make every effort to accommodate many circumstances, and our Accessibility Services Office should be made aware of any additional facilities or services to help accommodate you. A prescription pad note will NOT be accepted.

  6. Other

    Other exemption requests can be submitted with evidence requested by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.  We attempt to keep options open for what sort of evidence can be submitted with an exemption request, but the final burden of proof lies with the student.  We will attempt to contact the student if we believe more evidence is necessary to make an informed decision.  Insufficient evidence is reason enough for an exemption to be denied, and our office staff are not accountable for ensuring that sufficient evidence is submitted.  Please note: any exemption submitted under the “Other” category will immediately be referred to the Housing Exemption and Release Committee. This committee meets once every two-to-four weeks.

Finally, be aware that some circumstances are not sufficient for an exemption to be granted, regardless of the evidence. Although this is not an exhaustive list, here are some of our most common examples. 

  1. Financial Reasons

    We do not provide exemptions due to any financial situation or change in situation. We recommend considering all costs of attendance carefully before selecting an institution, and encourage students to speak with our Financial Aid Office regularly to fully understand their unique financial considerations. 

  2. Roommate Concerns

    While we always encourage students to resolve conflicts as a means to personal growth, we also offer several services to resolve and prevent dissatisfaction with roommates. Moreover, we do not offer exemptions because of concerns regarding race, sex, religion, age, national origin, or handicap as identified and defined by law. 

  3. Room Preferece

    When applying for housing, we attempt to keep open communication in regards to room availability and openings. As such,we do not offer exemptions due to unsatisfactory room selection options. We recommend that a student apply as soon as possible for housing in order to avoid filled rooms. 

Process for Exemption

The on-campus housing exemption application can be completed by logging into your myFairmontState account, clicking the Housing link in the Student Links box, and then logging in with your UCA and password. You will see the “Exemption Application” link at the top of the page. Paper requests will no longer be accepted. However, before applying for an exemption, there are a few things you should know:

  • Exemptions may only be granted before the online housing application has been completed.  Once we have received the signed agreement of Terms and Conditions and the housing application fee, exemptions cannot be requested.
  • Exemptions must be submitted more than thirty (30) days before the first day of classes.  Any exemptions submitted after that time will not be considered.  
  • Exemptions may be denied. Please complete the exemption paperwork as soon as possible, you will need to complete your housing application if your exemption request does not meet our standards.
  • Exemptions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Housing Exemption and Release Committee.  There are many factors we consider when granting exemptions, and the Committee treats each exemption request individually, even if submitted together.
  • The Housing Exemption and Release Committee only meets every 2 to 4 weeks.
  • Exemption decisions can be appealed within 5 days of you receiving a denial letter to your student email account only if you have additional information to submit. Appeals with no additional documentation or appeals submitted more than 5 days after you are sent a denial will not be considered.