Only students fully admitted to degree seeking status in a master’s program at Fairmont State University are eligible to receive a Graduate Assistantship. Non-degree students may not hold a Graduate Assistantship.
Initial appointment to the position of Graduate Assistant requires:
- current enrollment of at least nine (9) hours of graduate study in a graduate program;
- for graduate students already matriculating in a graduate program, a pattern of significant and satisfactory progress toward the completion of the graduate degree;
- communication skills appropriate to responsibilities of the graduate assistantship;
- evidence of subject matter competence; and
- other qualifications as necessary to perform assigned duties.
In addition to the qualifications listed above, reappointment to the position of Graduate Assistant requires a pattern of significant progress in accomplishing graduate degree requirements.
At a minimum, this means:
- that the applicant is earning a 3.0 grade point average or better during each semester of appointment;
- that the applicant is enrolled in, and completes, a minimum of three (3) courses or nine (9) hours of equivalent graduate level work toward the graduate degree including work toward the completion of the thesis/project each semester (withdrawal from a course(s) after the fourth week does not constitute acceptable progress);
- that the applicant completes all prerequisite coursework in the first semester of appointment unless such prerequisites cannot be completed in a single semester; and
- that the applicant meets the requirements for and achieves advancement to candidacy in a timely manner.
The Office of Graduate Studies is responsible for verifying the eligibility and compliance of all applicants.