Fairmont State University hereunto referred to as Fairmont State.
The purpose of the Association shall be to unite its members in an effective organization dedicated to the advancement of Fairmont State by:
- Strengthening the relationship between the alumni and Fairmont State through effective communication and collaboration about current programs, activities, and needs;
- Perpetuating and strengthening the bonds of loyalty and friendship among alumni;
- Supporting Fairmont State-sponsored activities, on and off-campus, that enrich the life of the institution, its students, and community as well as provide incentive for participation.
- Representing to the institution the interests of alumni, by way of recommendations for action and providing information;
- Assisting the institution and its student body on vocational guidance and job placement for programs that benefit Alumni, Community and Financial Support;
- Taking such other action as may be deemed appropriate for the advancement of the Institution and the Association;
- Assuring that no part of the net earnings of the Association shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the Association shall be authorized and empowered to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article II of this Constitution. No substantial part of the activities of the Association shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the Association shall not participate in, or intervene in legislation, and the Association shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the Association shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (a) by Association exempt from Federal income tax under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (or corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue Law) or (b) by Association contributions which are deductible under section 170 (c) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue Law). The Director of Alumni Relations shall retain all documents, including rules of order, procedure, and policy pursuant to operation of the organization and bylaws. Such documents shall be attached to the constitution and bylaws for informational purposes. The Director of Alumni Relations shall immediately report any finding of violation of rules of order, procedure, and/or policy to the Executive Committee.