Applying FAQs

If I get accepted, does that mean I automatically get into the program I want?

Not necessarily. Our Nursing program is very selective and requires special enrollment procedures.

Remember, the application, high school transcript or GED scores, college transcript (if applicable), official ACT or SAT scores and other pertinent information must be on file by the particular deadline for you to receive full consideration.

I have not graduated from high school. May I still take classes?

If you haven’t graduated from high school, you may be admitted to Fairmont State by passing the General Education Development (GED) Test. You must be a veteran, over 19 years of age, or past the age you would have been had you remained in high school until graduation. Also, you must be out of school more than one year preceding your application to be eligible.

I’m interested in transferring to a bachelor’s degree program at Fairmont State. What should I do?

If you are a transfer student and want to enter one of our four-year programs, here’s how you qualify:

  1. Meet the admission requirements of Fairmont State.
  2. Provide evidence of "good standing" at your last college or university.
  3. Show you have maintained a 2.0 or better GPA on all college work previously attempted.

If you are transferring fewer than 24 college hours, please provide an official copy of your high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores, along with a college transcript. You must also meet the admission requirements of the program into which you are transferring.

I’m an international student. How do I apply?

Fairmont State welcomes students from all over the world. For more information, visit the International Admissions site.

What are Fairmont State’s application deadlines?

For priority registration, make sure all the pieces of your admission file are in and complete six weeks prior to the start of the semester. Double-check the requirements of your program, some ask for applications much earlier.

Can I go to Fairmont State if I only want to take one class?

Of course. You don’t have to pursue a degree to attend Fairmont State.

Admission to Fairmont State as a special or nonmatriculant student is open to anyone who has completed fewer than 15 semester hours cumulative at any college or university. Admission as a special student is intended for students registering for occasional college courses with no degree objective. As a special or nonmatriculant student, you may complete a cumulative total of 30 hours of college credit.

If you are taking classes as a visiting or transient student from another college or university, you will be admitted as a nonmatriculant student.

If you have already completed a baccalaureate degree from another school, you will be admitted as a special or nonmatriculant student when we receive written certification of a degree from the granting institution.

Can I come to Fairmont State as a high school student?

If you are an outstanding high school student, you may enroll as a special student in the summer of your junior year or the fall of your senior year in high school. You can take up to 15 credits as a special student. Here are the requirements:

  1. Complete the junior year of your high school curriculum;
  2. Earn a minimum high school grade point average of 3.0 (B);
  3. Submit a written recommendation from the high school principal to Fairmont State's Office of Admissions;
  4. Send in an application for admission; and
  5. Submit ACT scores and/or high school transcripts.

Can I get Advanced Placement credit at Fairmont State?

You bet. As an entering freshman, you will receive Advanced Placement and/or credit if you received a score of three, four, or five on one of the tests of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board.

Is advanced standing available at Fairmont State?

Based on your high school record and performance on the ACT or SAT, our Registrar will determine your eligibility for advanced standing and credit in English and foreign language as follows:

  1. You will receive English credit in English 104 upon presentation of four units of high school English with no semester grade of less than a "B"; standard score of 25 or higher on the English section of the Enhanced ACT; or 610 on the English part of the re-centered SAT.
  2. Foreign language students who present one or more units of high school French or Spanish may enroll in French 102 or Spanish 102. Students who present two or more units of high school French or Spanish may enroll in French 201 or Spanish 201.

What Immunizations are required?

The State of West Virginia requires the following immunizations (a complete list of those required and recommended is available in the instructions on the Student Health website):

  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)
  • Tetanus (Tdap)
  • Polio
  • Meningococcal Vaccine (MCV4 or Quadrivalent)
  • Highly Recommended: COVID-19 Vaccine

Please remember that specific programs at the University require additional testing or immunizations (Nursing, Housing, Student-Athletes, etc.). Students requiring these will receive information directly from these areas.

How do I upload my Immunizations?

The process to provide information and upload required materials requires three steps:

  1. Sign into Fairmont State University Health Portal
  2. Complete the required forms
  3. Upload documents in the health portal

Your Fairmont State University credentials will be available once you accept your offer of admission and will appear on your Status Page. Once you activate these credentials, you may sign in to your secure student health portal and complete the immunization requirements. You can find instructions online at the Student Health website, along with frequently asked questions.

Contact Info

Office of Recruitment
Turley Student Services Center
Room 105
1201 Locust Avenue
Fairmont, West Virginia 26554
Phone: (800) 641-5678
Phone: (304) 367-4010
TDD: (304) 367-4200
Fax: (304) 367-4789