Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer
F2 Dependent Impact

F2 Dependent

Eligibility for F-2 Status

To qualify for dependent status, your spouse and children (under age 21) must establish during the visa interview that

  • He/She is the spouse or child of the F-1 principal. This is done by supplying a marriage license and birth certificates.
  • He/She has sufficient funds to cover expenses while present in the United States.
  • He/She intends to leave the United States upon termination of the principle F-1
  • If the dependents are following the student – you will need to show that the “F-1 student is, or will be within 30 days, enrolled in a full course of study or engaged in approved practical training."

F2 Arrival to Fairmont State University

Upon arrival the dependent should bring the SEVIS I-20 to the International Student Advising Office to have it signed on page 3.  This signature indicates that you have arrived in the U.S. and that Fairmont State University has been notified.

Maintaining F-2 Dependent Status

  • F-2 Spouses may not engage in full-time study
  • F-2 children may only engage in full-time study at the K-12 level
  • Part-time study is permitted only to the extent that it is “vocational or recreational” in nature.
  • Note: Please speak to a representative in the Turley Student Services Center prior to engaging in any form of part-time study.
  • Your F-2 dependent status is only valid if the F-1 student is in the United States and continues to maintain valid F-1 student status.
  • F-2 dependents may (after initial entry to the U.S.) temporarily leave the country – however – you will need to have the documents necessary to enter both the country to be visited as well as to re-enter the United States.

Dependents & Family/Friend Invitations

Fairmont State University strongly supports the reunification of families and friends. Spouses and unmarried minor children can be admitted in F-2 dependent status while family and friends can apply for a visitor's visa to visit students in the United States.

Steps to Obtain a Dependent I-20

  1. Complete the Dependent Request Form and submit to the Enrollment Services Processing Office along with your application to Fairmont State University
  2. After review a Dependent I-20 will be issued and sent to you, the student, to forward to your dependents
  3. Apply for the F2 visa at your local consulate

Steps to Invite Friends & Family

  1. Complete a Verification Request Form to request a letter of invitation for your friend or family member
  2. Give the reason for the visit (ie. general visit or attending graduation ceremony)
  3. Give the full name (as it appears on their passport) of the person you are inviting as well as their date of birth
  4. Send this letter to the person you are inviting

Your friend or family member will apply at the local consulate for a (B) visitor’s visa