Each year, Fairmont State University provides two partial tuition waiver scholarships to international students who have outstanding intellectual abilities and personal qualities. The partial tuition waiver varies but typically averages $4,500.00 per academic year. The tuition waiver does not cover laboratory technology fees, and other student activities fees, textbooks, or other incidentals.
To be eligible for consideration for this scholarship, the applicant must:
- Apply from abroad and meet all requirements for admission to Fairmont State.
(See section on admission requirements for international students)
- Submit a letter of application including an essay of about 500 words
- discussing academic and career goals and expectations
- Have a minimum TOEFL score of 550 PBT or 79 IBT
- Give evidence of sound scholastic accomplishments
- Submit at least two letters of recommendation attesting to the good character,
- maturity, determination, and special talents of the applicant (one letter must be
- written on official stationery by a teacher who is familiar with the applicant’s
- scholastic work, while the other must be written by a person other than a
- relative, who knows the applicant personally
- Submit a brief resume of educational and work experience if he or she has been out of high school or college for more than one year.
- Submit the completed application for admission and letter requesting consideration for the tuition waiver with required supporting documentation including: official English translation of high school transcripts; official TOEFL score; Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores; officially notarized proof of financial support form; letters of recommendation; résumé of educational and work experience; and health certificate. Copies of scores will not be accepted.
All correspondence concerning admissions and partial tuition waiver scholarships for international students must be sent to:
International Student Services
Fairmont State University
1201 Locust Avenue
Fairmont, WV 26554-2470 USA
Application and all supporting documentation must reach the Admissions Office by February 1 for the following academic year.
Partial tuition waiver recipients will be notified of the award in early May and will be required to reply to the offer of admission and scholarship within 30 days from date of notification. Acceptance at Fairmont State and the scholarship award will be given to prospective graduates from high school with the understanding that a strong record will continue until the end of the high school year and that the students complete the necessary academic requirements in good standing.