Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Click question to reveal answer.

Can I register myself?

Yes.  For assistance, refer to the Self Registration Guide.  Students must meet with their advisor each semester to receive an individual pin number in order to self-register.

How do I change my major?

You can change your major by filling out a “Major Change Form” in Student Enrollment Services, on the 3rd floor of the Turley Student Services Center. You will be assigned a new advisor in the department of your new major.

How do I get a transcript?

Official transcripts are provided by the Registrar’s Office, located in Enrollment Services on the 3rd floor of the Turley Student Services Center.  You can print an unofficial academic history by logging on to the myCampus.

How many credit hours must I take to be considered full-time?

A student must be enrolled in 12 semester hours to be considered a full-time student.

If I can register myself, do I still need to see my advisor?

Yes.  It is very important to see your advisor.  First, you need to get your pin number. Second, your advisor will help to ensure that you take courses in the appropriate order to increase the likelihood you will graduate within your timeframe.  Some courses are offered only once per year or once every two years.  Working with your advisor will ensure you don’t miss a needed course.  Your advisor can also serve as a mentor, providing valuable information about your chosen field.

If I change my major, do I meet with an advisor in my new major?

Yes.  You will need to meet with an advisor in the major that you are declaring.  If an advisor in your new department is not assigned, go to the dean of your department.

If I stop going to a class will it be dropped for me?

NO.  Students must log on to myCampus and go through FELiX to drop classes they no longer wish to complete.  Failure to do so will result in an F.

What is a UCA? How do I get one?

Every student has a UCA (Unified College Account).  You must activate this account by going to myCampus and clicking on “Activate Unified College Account” and following the instructions.  If you need help doing this you may go to the library or Advising Center for assistance.

Where can I find my grades?

You can also find your grades by logging on to myCampus and going through FELiX.

Where can I get a copy of my schedule?

Your schedule can be found by logging on to myCampus and going through FELiX.

Who is my advisor?

If you have not declared your major, the advisors in the Advising Center will help you schedule your classes.  If you have declared a major, a faculty member in your major will be your advisor.  Contact the staff in the department of your major to find your advisor.

Contact Info

Academic Advising Center
Turley Student Services Center
Room 317
M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm
Phone: (304) 367-4709 ext. 2