The Department of Communication and Theatre Arts at Fairmont State University offers the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Arts. This is a liberal arts degree. The Department also provides a minor for the students with an interest in communication.
- Group communication
- Contemporary storytelling
- Participatory journalism
- Social media
Communications Arts Students Can Specialize In
- Government communication
- Health communication
- Sport communication
- Visual communication
- Performance communication
- Public communication
- Multimedia communication
Required internships allow students to get field or hands-on experience in an area of communication in which they are interested.
The internship is the culmination of the coursework and skill development Communications Arts students learn in one of the seven concentrations areas listed above.
- Public speaking team
- Oral Interpretation team
- Debate team
- Careers in many different industries relating to communications
The Mission of the Communication Arts Program of the Fairmont State University Department of Communication and Theatre Arts is to provide students with an interdisciplinary experience incorporating theory and practice in the context of a liberal arts education that encourages personal growth and critical and creative thinking while fostering ethically responsible communicators who are prepared to meet their academic and professional goals.
Students who complete the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Arts can seek employment in business, industry, media, non-profit organizations, or government. Their experience at Fairmont State gives them a competitive edge in applying for employment or graduate study. The minor in communication is a complement to the student’s major field of study. It allows the student to present themselves to a potential employer as a liberally educated individual. Communication Arts students can become:
- Media analysts
- Spokespersons for corporations or nonprofit agencies
- Public relations managers
- Advertising managers
- Event planners
Requirements for Admission to Communication Arts
- Earn a minimum quality point average of 2.75 overall, 2.75 in each teaching specialization and 2.75 in all professional education classes.
- Complete Early Field Experience COMMUNITY Early Field Experience PDS requirements.
- Achieve acceptable scores on the Core Academic Skills for Educators Test (CORE).
- Complete EDUC 2200 (Introduction to Education) and EDUC 2201 (Instructional Technology) with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Complete the Teacher Education Application form in Taskstream.
- Be approved by the Teacher Education Selection Committee.