ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
To be considered for Undergraduate Admission, an applicant from abroad must satisfy the following requirements:
1. Applicant must have completed a satisfactory program of secondary school studies equivalent to an American high school. An officially certified English translation of high school transcripts or college transcripts, if applicable, must accompany applications. In cases where high school graduation is expected after the application deadline for admission, acceptance at Fairmont State would be given to the prospective student with the understanding that the student successfully complete the necessary academic requirements and submit proof of graduation. Photo copies will not be accepted.
2. For undergraduate studies, the applicant must have achieved a minimum score of 500 (paper),173 (computer) or 61 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 6.0 on the IELTS. Official test results must be sent directly to Fairmont State with the following TOEFL code information. Official scores or certified copies must be submitted:
INSTITUTION: Fairmont State University
ADDRESS: 1201 Locust Avenue
Fairmont, WV 26554-2470, USA
INSTITUTION CODE: 5211
You may also call, fax, or send us an electronic mail message:
Phone: (304) 367-4782
3. Applicant must submit officially notarized proof of financial support. A sponsor affidavit form is located in the last section of the application for admission form.
Each applicant is required to provide an official detailed financial statement attesting that the sponsor will be able to support the student to the extent required. Applicant must also give evidence that in countries where there are restrictions on transfer of U.S. Dollars, such transfers will not be prevented. Fairmont State will not issue documents required for visa application unless satisfactory proof of financial support is received.
4. Applicant must submit proof of health insurance coverage prior to enrollment in classes. Applicant must also submit proof of inoculations against measles, mumps, and rubella.
5. If applying for a Dependent I-20, the following must be received.
- If requesting I-20 for a spouse: Marriage certificate
- If requesting I-20 for child/children: Birth Certificate(s)
- Passport for each dependent for whom you are requesting an I-20
- Proof of funding for next two semesters
6. Applicant must submit a request for campus housing. A room deposit will be required upon notification of admission.
7. Applicant must sign all forms and submit completed application for admission with all supporting documentation by, with a postmark no later than:
For Scholarship application for following academic year - February 1
For Summer School (May-August) - April 1
For Fall Semester (August-December) - July 1
For Spring Semester (January-May) - November 22
The above dates are when materials need to be postmarked.
All forms and documentation must be sent by airmail to:
Office of Admissions
Fairmont State University
1201 Locust Avenue
Fairmont, WV 26554-2470 USA
8. Applicant must use the same complete official name with identical spelling on all forms.
Upon receipt of all required forms and documents, the Office of Admissions will review the application materials and will make admission decisions. If admission is offered, the university will send U.S. government documents necessary to apply for the appropriate visa.
International applicants may apply for one of the following Graduate Programs:
To be considered for Graduate Admission, an applicant from abroad must satisfy the following requirements in addition to general admission requirements:
1. Applicant must have completed an undergraduate degree. Your foreign transcript must be evaluated and translated. The service we currently accept translations from is WES (World Education Services).
2. For graduate studies, the applicant must have achieved a minimum score of 550 (paper based)/79 (internet based) TOEFL score.