The Charles J. McClain Presidential Scholarship is Fairmont State’s premier academic scholarship and is awarded to three of the state’s top high school seniors. Finalists not awarded a McClain Scholarship will receive alternative financial support. This competitive scholarship includes tuition and fees, room and board, and a book stipend.
To compete for this scholarship you must:
- Be a West Virginia student who is a member of the class of 2015.
- Be a PROMISE Scholarship recipient.
- Submit a completed Charles J. McClain Presidential Scholarship application and essay.
- Complete your FSU admissions file (general application, high school transcript, test scores) prior to deadline.
- Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Have ACT composite of 26 or higher or SAT composite of 1190 or higher (excluding writing score).
- Participate in on-campus interviews.
First year recipients must maintain an overall GPA of a 2.75 at the end of their first year. An overall GPA of 3.0 is required for renewal during subsequent years. A minimum of 30 credit hours must be obtained in a year of enrollment for renewal. The Charles J. McClain Presidential Scholarship can only be awarded up to eight semesters.