The Charles J. McClain Presidential Scholarship is Fairmont State’s premier academic scholarship and is awarded to three of the state’s top high school seniors. Finalists not awarded a McClain Scholarship will receive alternative financial support. This competitive scholarship includes tuition and fees, room and board, and a book stipend.
To compete for this scholarship you must:
- Be a West Virginia student who is a member of the class of 2017.
- Be a PROMISE Scholarship recipient.
- Submit a completed Charles J. McClain Presidential Scholarship application and essay.
- Complete your FSU admissions file (general application, high school transcript, test scores) prior to deadline.
- Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Have ACT composite of 26 or higher or 1190 SAT (combined Critical Reading and Math scores taken prior to March 2016) or 1260 SAT total score (taken March 2016 and after).
- Participate in on-campus interviews.
First year recipients must maintain an overall GPA of a 2.75 at the end of their first year. An overall GPA of 3.0 is required for renewal during subsequent years. A minimum of 30 credit hours must be obtained in a year of enrollment for renewal. The Charles J. McClain Presidential Scholarship can only be awarded up to eight semesters.