Biology is the study of life. To understand biology, students need to have a working knowledge of all sciences. The Fairmont State University Biology program gives students the broad based education they need to succeed.
Students can work toward any of three Biology degrees. They are:
- B.A. in Education with a specialization in Biology
- B.S. in Biology
- B.S. in Biology with an emphasis in biotechnology
Students earning the B.S. in Biology have the flexibility to select courses in one of the following areas:
- Organismal Biology
- Cell and Molecular Biology
Biology majors are not required to take a minor.
Some Fairmont State students choose the Biology program as their undergraduate major before going on to graduate school for dentistry, medicine, pharmacy and veterinary medicine.
A Biology degree is perfect for students with goals of becoming doctors. Students who choose the B.A in Education with a specialization in Biology prepare to be able to teach biology in grades 9-adult.
Students who earn either of Fairmont State University’s B.S. degrees in Biology are set up to be:
- Lab technicians
- Wildlife Biologists
- Research Scientists
Combining a Biology degree with another field of study opens students to more opportunities. For example:
- Biology and English – Scientific writer, technical journal illustrator
- Biology and Computer Science - Bioinformatics
- Biology and Business – Marketing for pharmaceutical firms and biological supply companies