Students in the Fairmont State University - Bachelor of Arts degree in Studio Art program will focus on creative and technical skill-building through exposure to and the practice of various visual arts media and the study of the History of Art.
The FSU Art Department’s faculty is an award winning group of artists, teachers and scholars.
They help students to improve their skills in all aspects of art making as they work towards careers in the Visual Arts.
Within the Studio Art program, students can choose one of three exciting area concentration tracks.
- 2/D - Drawing/Painting
- 3/D - Pottery/Sculpture
- Cross-Media – Electronic and Mixed Media
The Studio Art program is appropriate for students who:
- Want to work as independent artists.
- Wish to work in fields where creativity is essential.
- Wish to continue their education in Visual Arts and teaching at the graduate level.
The skills taught in the Studio Art program prepare students for:
- Work as professional independent artists.
- Advanced and graduate studies in studio art and related design programs.
- Corporations which rely on employees who possess creative problem solving skills and artistic talent.
- Employment in local and regional creative arts centers.
- Work in Galleries and Museums.
Art Department sponsored opportunities are available for Art Majors to travel to major art museums and galleries. Past Art Department trips have included:
- Cleveland – Cleveland Museum of Art, Museum of Contemporary Art
- Pittsburgh – Carnegie Museum of Art, Warhol Museum, The Mattress Factory
- Washington, D.C. – National Gallery of Art, Hirshhorn Museum, Corcoran Museum
- Cincinnati – Cincinnati Museum of Art, Contemporary Art Center, Taft Museum
- New York City – Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim Museum
The Studio Art major includes a number of general studies requirements which opens graduates up to a number of career possibilities.
Upon choosing one of the three tracks offered, Studio Art students can start to narrow their artistic interests by further developing their skills which can lead to the careers they’re hoping for after graduation. Options are vast and can include:
- Electronic Media Artist
- Book illustrator/designer
- Art critic
- Display painter
- Gallery Owner
- Advertising artist
- Exhibit designer