The Department of Communication and Theatre offers the Bachelor of Arts Degree and a Comprehensive (5-12) Oral Communication major under the Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree. The program of study provides a balance among the various academic areas of speech as well as the technical, performance, and dramaturgical areas of theatre.
Students completing the Bachelor of Arts degree in Oral Communication will be able to seek employment in secondary schools teaching speech and theatre. Fairmont State students will also be competent to compete with graduates of most colleges for graduate studies in speech communication and theatre.
Requirements for Admission to Teacher Education
- Earn a minimum quality point average of 2.75 overall, 2.75 in each teaching specialization and 2.75 in all professional education classes.
- Complete Early Field Experience COMMUNITY Early Field Experience PDS requirements.
- Achieve acceptable scores on the Core Academic Skills for Educators Test (CORE).
- Complete EDUC 2200 (Introduction to Education) and EDUC 2201 (Instructional Technology) with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Complete the Teacher Education Application form in Taskstream.
- Be approved by the Teacher Education Selection Committee.