Students who enter the Art Education program at Fairmont State University will be have a number of exciting specialized classes in addition to their general studies requirements.
They will be exposed to courses in:
- Art history
- Electronic Art
- Arts Education
- Professional Education
The FSU Art Department’s faculty is an award winning group of artists, teachers and scholars.
They help students to improve their skills in all aspects of art making so that students as teachers can pass the skills on to others.
Students in Art Education classes have numerous opportunities to develop innovative lessons for youngsters and to incorporate them in actual hands-on field experiences through course work and Art Education Club activities.
The Art Education curriculum and experiences are designed to provide students with the highest level of professional education for the art teacher.
It allows students to grow in their abilities as creative artists and scholars of the arts, and to play a major role in the cultural life of a school, college and community.
Art Department sponsored opportunities are available for Art Majors to travel to major art museums and galleries. Past Art Department trips have included:
- Cleveland – Cleveland Museum of Art, Museum of Contemporary Art
- Pittsburgh – Carnegie Museum of Art, Warhol Museum, The Mattress Factory
- Washington, D.C. – National Gallery of Art, Hirshhorn Museum, Corcoran Museum
- Cincinnati – Cincinnati Museum of Art, Contemporary Art Center, Taft Museum
- New York City – Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim Museum
Every step of the way, you will find professors and peers who will help you to develop the confidence you want when you begin your career as an art teacher in public schools. While many Art Education graduates make their impacts in classrooms, there are several types of careers to consider, including:
- Public or Private school art teacher
- Visual Art instructor or education coordinator in Community Arts programs
- Museum Education
- Advanced degree opportunities in Visual Arts and Education fields