The Math Support program at Fairmont State:
- replaces former developmental and remedial math programs.
- provides credit-bearing courses and pathways for students upon entrance to the college.
- places students into co-requisite support courses to help insure success in their required math classes.
- is designed for Fairmont State students only (Pierpont students should contact their adviser for math placement information).
Why Math Support?
Fairmont State’s model for Math Support has developed in response to both state and national initiatives involving remedial education in college. It is based on recommendations and findings from a variety of sources, including:
- WV Higher Education Policy Commission
- Complete College of America
What is Co-Requisite Math?
Co-requisite courses must be taken at the same time as other courses. Fairmont State’s Math Support courses provide:
- “just in time” tutoring and review of essential study skills.
- hands-on activities and discussions to reinforce fundamental concepts.
- compassionate instructors that work closely with students and other instructors.
Coordinator of Math Support
319 Hunt-Haught Hall
Math Support Faculty