Become an Orientation Leader 2014 - Fairmont State University
The Office of Orientation is seeking students from a variety of backgrounds representing diverse hometowns, interests, majors, campus affiliations and personal qualities of the students attending Fairmont State University to comprise a group called the O-Team. O-Team stands for Orientation Team. It is comprised of a group of students dedicated to the institution and to helping others. O-Team members facilitate numerous freshmen, transfer and adult sessions. O-Teamers also assist students and parents with advising and registration and help them discover on-campus resources by acting as a group leader/tour guide.
Orientation Leaders serve as a student perspective during the advising and scheduling process and will manage a group of new students during their experience at the Orientation Programs. O-Team members will lead new students through programs, events, and discussions during Orientation Days.
- Assist in the preparation of Orientation activities and materials
- Attend all on-campus Orientation days (including a few evening programs)
- Escort/guide students and families to and from program sessions
- Assist in scheduling building process
- Acquaint students and families with campus services and programs
- Facilitate check-in and check-out procedures; man stations independently
- Assist with the set-up and tear-down of Orientation sessions
- Give campus tours when needed
- Energy & Stamina
- Team Player
- Approachable & Charismatic
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA at Fairmont State University
- Understand and believe in the Orientation mission statement
- Relate well with students, parents, faculty and administration
- Demonstrate strong oral communication skills and charisma
- Not take summer classes, participate in any summer employment, productions, etc. that conflict with Orientation sessions or trainings.
- MUST be able to work each and every Orientation session and must be present at all paid trainings and meetings.
- Must conduct tours and remain outdoors in heat at times.
Time Commitment – All dates listed below are MANDATORY
- Saturday, May 3 (On the Job Training Session; approx. 8:00 am-3:30 pm)
- June 2-6 (Length of Training Week Could Vary; approx. 8:30 am-3:30 pm)
Orientation Daytime Sessions (approx. 8:00 am-3:30 pm):
- June 10-13; June 18 & 20; June 24; July 8-11; July 15-16; July 30 August 6; August 14
Orientation Evening Sessions (approx. 2:30 pm-8:30 pm):
- June 16, July 17 & August 7
NOTE: Approximate work hours subject to change. Also, O-Team members will be encouraged to work Residence Hall Move-In the morning of Friday, August 15 to be a familiar face to the new students. If OLs are interested in working Welcome Weekend (August 15-17) as a Welcome Weekend Leader they must apply to that position separately.
- OLs will be paid $10 per hour; payment amount will differ pay to pay
- Opportunity to enhance your human relation skills, knowledge, confidence, and service to others
- Opportunity to serve as a role model while assisting in the transition and retention of new students
- Networking with faculty and administration
- Program shirts and other free-bees
- A great addition to your resume
- THE APPLICATION: Review the job description thoroughly. Then, complete & submit app. by Friday, February 14, 2014 (either online at www.fairmontstate.edu/oteam or on paper to Turley Center 224).
- RECOMMENDATIONS: Have two of our ‘Recommendation Forms’ completed—one must be from an FSU faculty or staff member (submit with application or at the group Interview at the latest). Click HERE for a PDF copy of the Recommendation Forms.
- GROUP INTERVIEW: You’ll be asked to schedule a ‘Round 1 Group Interview’ (Two options exist: Monday, February 24 4:00pm-5:00pm or Tuesday, February 25 12:30pm-1:30pm). Round 2 Interviews may or may not be required, based on the selection committee’s decision.
- ORIENTATION LEADERS ANNOUNCED: on or before March 7, 2014 via e-mail.
In order to apply, please fill out the application form below and click ‘submit’, or if you wish to fill out a paper application for the OL position click here, fill out the paper form and bring it to Turley Center 224 (Office of Retention). REMINDER: Please Print off the Required Recommendations Forms.
All items marked with a red *are required.