General Studies Requirements for the Bachelor’s Degree
Students must complete at least one course in each of the following General Studies Outcomes from the approved course list by reviewing each outcome below:
- Critical Analysis
- Quantitative Literacy
- Written Communication
- Information Literacy
- Technology Literacy
- Oral Communication
- Health and Well-being
- Interdisciplinary and Lifelong Learning
- Fine Arts (Must complete a minimum of 3 hours)
- Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Cultural Awareness and Human Dignity
- Students must complete at least 30 hours of coursework outside of their major as defined by the course prefix(s) that have been determined by the academic units. Academic units may select courses for majors to fulfill certain outcomes as long as the 30 hours of coursework outside of the major is achievable
For example, the Chemistry Department decides that all CHEM courses are part of the major while the physics (PHYS), mathematics (MATH) and other subjects are not. Chemistry majors are required to take either MATH 1185 (Applied Calculus I) or MATH 1190 (Calculus I). Both of these mathematics courses satisfy the Outcome 2 Quantitative Literacy Outcome as well. So when students take either course they fulfill the Outcome 2 requirement and the course counts toward the 30 hours of coursework outside of the major. When the students take CHEM 3302 they will fulfill the Outcome 4 Teamwork Outcome but it will not count toward the 30 hours outside of the major requirement.
- Students may use a single course to satisfy no more than 2 Outcomes.
For example, ENGL 2200 will satisfy Outcome 1Critical Analysis, Outcome 9 Ethics, Outcome 13 Humanities or Outcome 16 Cultural Awareness and Human Dignity. A student can only have ENGL 2200 count against two of the four Outcomes. If the student chooses Outcome 1 and Outcome 13 as those two then other courses are needed to fulfill Outcome 9 and Outcome 16.
- Students must complete 6 hours of Written English (ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102).
These courses may also be used to fulfill any additional Outcomes for which they have been approved.
- Students must complete 3 hours (single course or multiple courses) to fulfill General Studies Outcome 12 - Fine Arts.
- Students should consult their academic advisor for program requirements and course prerequisites before choosing courses to fulfill General Studies Outcomes.
Any individual program’s exceptions to these policies are determined by the Curriculum Committee or the Provost’s Office.
If a program cannot follow these policies, then it can apply for an exception with the Curriculum Committee or the Provost’s Office.