- Graduate Studies
- Campus Bookstore
- Model Schedules
- Program Reviews
- Writing Intensive Courses
- General Studies Program and Course List
- Study Abroad
Life after college does not just consist of a job or career. As college graduates, students will be expected to effectively demonstrate certain knowledge and skills as informed, literate, and educated persons and productive members of a democratic society. The General Studies outcomes are critical to continued learning and success and are oftentimes the “soft skills” that employers are looking for in addition to the discipline-specific knowledge obtained through major study. Just having a college degree is no longer sufficient. With the exponential creation of information and the speed with which technology evolves, successful individuals are those who have learned how to learn and who can continue developing and learning even after completing their college course work.
The skills and knowledge obtained by completing General Studies courses provide students with the necessary tools to be productive employees, leaders, and citizens. The outcomes were designed to incorporate the foundational knowledge and skills that have enduring societal value and to prepare students to survive and thrive in a complex, diverse, and dramatically changing world.
A large portion of the skills and knowledge Fairmont State University expects its students to have when they graduate comes from General Studies courses.
The motto of the University is: SOAR with Fairmont State. The motto reflects its overarching desire to help transform lives, Fairmont State values:
SCHOLARSHIP: To celebrate the joy and wonder of discovery.
• Through rigorous scholarship, we promote critical thinking from the first class through life-long learning and ensure the development of new knowledge.
OPPORTUNITY: To grow, learn, engage, and contribute.
• Through accessible, quality education, we provide opportunities to grow and to discover goals, both personal and communal.
ACHIEVEMENT: To reach personal and community goals.
• Through disciplined effort, we facilitate and honor achievement.
RESPONSIBILITY: To fulfill obligations to our selves, the learning community, our society, and the future.
• Through mutually responsible conduct, we act with integrity, we respect diversity, and we pursue an informed worldview.