The following procedures and practices shall be observed in dealing with the theft of college property.
1. Each school, department or office of the college shall prepare and maintain an inventory of major equipment items assigned to that unit. The inventory shall include the state inventory number, serial number and description of the item including, but not limited to, such factors as model, trade name, and the color.
2. In the event of a theft of college property, the Director of Public Safety shall be notified immediately and shall conduct or direct an investigation of the theft.
3. The head of the college unit where the theft has occurred shall have prepared a list of the stolen items, including the state inventory number, serial number, and description of each item. A copy of the list shall be sent to each of the following:
a. The Director of Public Safety
b. Director of Facilities
c. Vice President for Finance and Administration
4. The Director of Public Safety shall report the theft and transmit the list of stolen items to the West Virginia Department of Public Safety and such other law enforcement agencies as deemed appropriate.
5. The Director of Public Safety shall file a report with the Director of Facilities and the Vice President for Finance and Administration as to what investigation took place and what items were recovered.
6. Items not recovered will be removed from the college inventory by the Physical Plant Department.