Become a Welcome Weekend Leader 2017
The Office of Retention is seeking students from a variety of backgrounds representing diverse hometowns, interests, majors, campus affiliations and personal qualities of the students attending Fairmont State University. Welcome Weekend Leaders (WWLs) will assist with all Welcome Weekend Events. The position plays a vital role in facilitating the adjustment of new students to our campus.
Welcome Weekend (Residence Hall Move-In and Welcoming Activites)
WWLs serve to integrate new students into the Fairmont State community by building relationships and creating a welcoming environment. WWLs will lead new students through programs, events, and discussions during Welcome Weekend.
- Assist in the preparation of Welcome Weekend activities and materials
- Attend all Welcome Weekend sessions
- Facilitate icebreakers/getting-acquainted activities with new students
- Play an integral role during the movement of new students between activities
- Acquaint students with campus services and programs
- Assist with the set-up and tear-down of Welcome Weekend sessions
- Give campus tours when needed
- Energy & Stamina
- Team Player
- Approachable & Charismatic
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Not be working for Residence Life for the Fall Semester (RA, Hall Montior, etc.)
- Relate well with students, parents, faculty and administration
- Demonstrate strong oral communication skills and charisma
- Not take summer classes, participate in any summer employment, productions, etc. that conflict with Welcome Weekend sessions or trainings.
- MUST be able to work each and every program session and must be present at all trainings and meetings.
- Must conduct tours and remain outdoors in heat at times.
Time Commitment – All dates listed below are MANDATORY
- April 13 12:30pm-1:30pm
- August 10 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, August 11 (Move-In) 7:00am-9:30pm
- Saturday, August 12 (WW Activities) 8:30am-10:30pm
- Sunday, August 13 (WW Activities) 10:00am-6:00pm
NOTE: Approximate work hours subject to change. If WWLs are interested in working Summer Orientation (May-August) as an Orientation Leader they must apply to that position separately.
- WWL is a volunteer-based job but free-bees will be provided
- Opportunity to enhance your human relation skills, knowledge, confidence, and service to others
- Opportunity to serve as a role model while assisting in the transition and retention of new students
- Networking with faculty and administration
- Program shirts and other free-bees
- A great addition to your resume
- WWLs will have lunch and dinner provided during programs
- THE APPLICATION: Review the job description thoroughly. Then, complete & submit app. by Monday,March 27, 2017 (online at www.fairmontstate.edu/WWL).
- RECOMMENDATIONS: Have two of our ‘Recommendation Forms’ completed—one must be from a Fairmont State faculty or staff member (submit with application or at the group Interview at the latest). Click HERE for a PDF copy of the Recommendation Forms.
- GROUP INTERVIEW: You’ll be asked to schedule a ‘Round 1 Group Interview’ (Two options exist: Tuesday, April 4 12:30pm-1:30pm or Wednesday, April 5 2:30pm-3:30pm). Round 2 Interviews may or may not be required, based on the selection committee’s decision.
- WWLS ANNOUNCED: on or before April 10, 2017 via e-mail.
In order to apply, please fill out the application form below and click 'submit. REMINDER: Please Print off the Required Recommendations Forms.
All items marked with a red *are required.