The Department of Music offers a Bachelor of Arts in Education Degree (Music) for teaching certification Pre-K to Adults and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music which can be combined with various minors from other programs of study. Students can also earn a Minor in Music.
To further narrow their focus, students can choose an emphasis in one of following applied areas:
- Instrumental (strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion)
Music majors will receive a mix of curriculum covering musical heritage and new and innovative educational and musical ideas.
Our classrooms are well-equipped. The Music majors have access to:
- Electronic piano classroom
- Theory room
- Music education room
- Wired classroom
- Computer lab
- Instrumental and choral rehearsal rooms
- Practice rooms
Travel and performance are part of the Music experience at Fairmont State University.
Departmental organizations include:
- Marching Band & Wind Ensemble
- Jazz ensemble
- Small ensembles
Students who’ve participated in those organizations have performed locally, across the United States, in Mexico, and in Europe.
In addition to academic opportunities, students can supplement their experience with membership in student chapters of National Association for Music Educators, American Choral Directors Association, Kappa Kappa Psi, and Sigma Alpha Iota.
Music majors are prepared for careers inside and outside the classroom. The academics, performance opportunities, and extracurricular activities available through the Fairmont State School of Fine arts set each student up for success. Career options include:
- Choir or band director
- Music dealer
- Music therapist
- Music producer
Requirements for Admission to Teacher Education
- Earn a minimum quality point average of 2.75 overall, 2.75 in each teaching specialization and 2.75 in all professional education classes.
- Complete Early Field Experience COMMUNITY Early Field Experience PDS requirements.
- Achieve acceptable scores on the Core Academic Skills for Educators Test (CORE).
- Complete EDUC 2200 (Introduction to Education) and EDUC 2201 (Instructional Technology) with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Complete the Teacher Education Application form in Taskstream.
- Be approved by the Teacher Education Selection Committee.