As of October 21, 2013, all teacher candidates must pass the following Praxis I Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests with the qualifying scores set by the WV Department of Education in order to be admitted to Teacher Education:
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading (Computer Delivered Test Code 5712), Qualifying Score of 156
- Core Adademic Skills for Educators: Writing (Computer Delivered Test Code 5722), Qualifying Score of 162
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math (Computer Delivered Test Code 5732), Qualifying Score of 150
Preparing for the Core Tests
Before taking the Core tests, you should review the test preparation materials provided by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) :
Study Companion and Test Preparation Videos for Core Reading 5712: http://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials/5712
Study Companion and Test Preparation Videos for Core Writing 5722: http://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials/5722
Study Companion and Test Preparation Videos for Core Math 5732: http://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials/5732
If in the past you have struggled on standardized tests covering the content tested by the Core Tests, you should also register for a Learning Express Library account in order to access diagnostic tests you can take to help you target areas for improvement. Knowing where you are likely to struggle will help you develop a study plan and be better prepared to take the Core tests. To register for a Learning Express Library account you should:
- Click on this link: http://library.fairmontstate.edu/
- Look at the icons on the right side of the screen and click on "Databases"
- Look at the options listed under "By Type" and click on "Test Preparation"
- Select "Learning Express Library 3.0" and then click on "Register" in the upper right corner of the screen
- Once you have registered for an account, click on the "Adult Learning Center" icon in the middle of the Learning Express Library homepage (you may need to click on one of the large arrows on either side of the icons to find the Adult Learning Center)Login; click on the "Jobs and Careers" tab on the left; click on "Teaching", then on the appropriate exam information and the prep link/practice test.
- From the "Jobs and Careers" homepage you can choose to work on your Reading Skills - "Become a Better Reader" - or your Math Skills - "Build Your Math Skills."
To diagnose and strengthen your Reading skills you should:
- Click on "Become a Better Reader," and then click on the "Practice Your Reading Skills" link on the left side of the screen.
- To diagnose your strengths and areas for improvement, you are encouraged to take the "Informational Reading Practice 1," "Persuasive Reading Practice 1," and the "Literary Practice 1" tests.
- After reviewing your results for each test you should access the Reading Skills Tutorials that address your areas for improvement.
To diagnose and strengthen your Math skills you should:
- Click on "Build Your Math Skills," and then click on "Learn and Review Your Math Skills"
- Next, click on "Basic Math Tutorial: Comprehensive" and select the "Pre-Test" option listed on the left side of the screen.
- After taking the Pre-Test, you should use the results to select the Math Skills Tutorials that address your areas for improvement.
You may also select "Improve Your Writing, Speaking, and Grammar" and access the "Writing Skills Tutorial" to strengthen basic writing skills. Support for writing is also available in the FSU Writing Center, located in 308 Jaynes Hall. Hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 8 AM -7 PM and Friday 8 AM -1 PM. To make an appointment, students can stop in Jaynes 308 during business hours or call 304-367-3699.
Registering for the Core Tests
Cost: You can register to take all three required Core tests on the same testing date for a Combined Test price of $135 -or- you can register to take two of the required Core Tests on the same testing date for a Combined Test price of $125, and then register to take the third test as a single test on another date for and additional $85, for a total of $210 for all three tests -or- you can register for each of the required Core Tests separately for a single test price of $85 each ($255 for all three tests if you register for each one singly).
Fairmont State University Institution/Recipient Code: RA5211
Reporting to Take the Praxis Core Tests
ETS will send you information about where/when to report and what you should do on test day. Print this information and take it with you to your testing center. Be sure to take a government issued ID. Acceptable forms of ID are:
- Drivers license with photo and signature
- State ID with photo and signature
- Passport with photo and signature - for non-US citizens
When you register for the tests be sure to use your name exactly as it appears on the ID you will use. Testing center personnel cannot allow you to take the test if the name on your ID does not match the name on the registration list. If you do not have your ID you will not be allowed to take the exam - you will have to register - and pay - again.
If you do not make the required score on any CORE test you can retake it, but you will have to register and pay a fee. ETS requires that you wait 21 days before retaking a test.
Praxis Fee Waiver
ETS offers the option of applying for a waiver of the fee for Praxis Tests. If you are interested in a waiver you should visit https://www.ets.org/praxis/about/fees/fee_waivers/ to see if you are eligible to apply and to access the instructions and required application form.