Fairmont State University (FSU) has developed a graduate emphasis in Online Learning for our existing Master's Degree in Education that may also be offered as a stand-alone certificate program. New graduate students could choose this 18 graduate credit emphasis as part of FSU’s existing Master of Education degree or existing college faculty could acquire a certificate as an Online Instructor. The emphasis is unique in that coursework will be developed specifically towards those who wish to teach online as well as those who wish to acquire a Master's Degree in Education with a emphasis in Online Learning. The program will focus on the best practices in online learning as identified by the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), the American Higher Education Association (AHEA), and the SLOAN Foundation.
- To help candidates acquire the skills and knowledge needed to teach and learn online.
- To provide candidates with the necessary instructional design, technical, and course management skills to develop and teach online courses.
- To improve the quality of online education.
- To deliver the program through web-based instruction.
- To provide mentoring and follow-up activities for graduates.