Goal 1 Breakout
Return to Stakeholders Conference
1. In order to support teaching and learning as the central focus of the institution, the Implementation Team has thus far used funding to:
- Send faculty and students as participants in workshops, conferences, and international travel
- Set up Brown Bag lunch sessions to disseminate information from the above professional development opportunities
- Established several learning communities
- In addition, a subcommittee has submitted several grant applications. Faculty development weeks, retreats by some departments, and committees designated to study Liberal Studies, Outcomes, and Assessment have been established to address the transition to a fully outcomes-based institution.
- a. What are some other ideas that would support teaching and learning as the central focus of the institution?
- b. What other funding opportunities might we seek?
2. Maximizing facilities (virtual and physical) for effective teaching and learning has been difficult to achieve during the first two years of implementation. Minimum classroom standards have been identified, but only limited recommendations were made knowing that funding and staffing will be issues.
- a. What suggestions do you have for making our current facilities more effective for teaching and learning?
3. What recommendations do you have for adjusting the Goal 1 timeline for the next three years?
The faculty to Loan program could assist in allowing faculty to “see the real world” and what the current issues are in business, education, and industry. Mentorships for students and faculty with the local partners.
Define who is charge of a building so people would know who to go to with concerns/suggestions. Many buildings have multiple schools. Complete needs list and then prioritize. Add questions to the end of semester class evaluations so students will have the opportunity to provide input about maintenance issues. Have maintenance suggestion boxes throughout the campus
Include all goals that have not been met in the next year’s timeline until the goal is met. Since it is taking some time to meet year 1 and 2 timelines, need to realistically adjust the future timelines.
Support faculty by giving them more time to work on outcomes/assessments rather than extraneous activities that are not related to this goal, i.e. recruit/retention activities Not acting on assessment/evaluation information we have available on faculty; i.e. perhaps some faculty should spend more time on administrative and less on teaching; job flexibility Grant opportunities
New ways to setup physical space of classroom; supportive learning environment; improve technology; retrofitting of old buildings; increased power and dataport capabilities; increase number of “soft spaces” for student gathering and interaction
Table agreed that marketing director position is needed for the upcoming year.
This is important as a first step for four of the goals. Marketing plan would help coordinate initiatives not only for this goal but for others as well. Marketing director would also need a budget.
Faculty-to-loan business program needs to be defined and clarified. This could increase faculty development activities as well. Business –to-FSU program could benefit institution as well. Focus on where the opportunities to develop these programs exist and concentrate on developing those. Capture what is already going on in the institution and collect that information. Here’s what we’re doing; here’s what we could do for business.
Campus calendars are available. Agree with timeline for Action Step 5. Programs and schools on campus need to use the calendars more.
1. What about facilities at off-campus sites? Some are middle schools, not even desks are right size. Look at facilities all across the region and adhere to some minimum standards.
2. Could co-curricular activities become fundraisers for academic programs? (ie pay admission fee to hear speakers)
3. Put around spare-change cans to collect pennies for FSU
4. Collect aluminum cans to recycle and get money for these cans.
5. More recycling bins generally are needed!
6. Departments must come up with their own fundraisers to pay for activities they propose.
7. Students don’t know about BROWN BAG lunches—they might come if they did. Improve publicity.
8. Set up an FSU avatar (like Second Life) to demonstrate what the consequences of changes on campus might be (how retention may impact facilities, etc)
9. Climate control in the classroom is very necessary—please allow local control—Jaynes too hot, ED to cold, Aero space is freezing
10. Library MMA edging of stair treads (tread nosing) is ripped and needs replaced.
11. Basic chair maintenance necessary.
12. Computer in classroom often don’t work—need to be replaced.
13. Need pencil sharpeners in Engineering Building and all school offices.
14. Computer Labs in residence halls need to be updated (do not have Office 2007)
15. Staff offices have Office 2003 but students use 2007.
16. Wireless in residence halls is hard to access.
17. Bryant Place bottom floors can’t get cellphone signals either.
18. Outcomes work has helped us to better align math courses leading up to College Algebra.
19. 3300 Aviation classes need pre-requisities so students can succeed better
20. Courses that are only offered occasionally NEED to be more clearly identified.
21. Correct model schedules need to be available for every program.
22. Why don’t we register students for next semester in the dorms, or in the lunch line???? Or put holds on their record UNTIL they register for next semester.
23. Online schedule should show which courses are only offered occasionally—mark courses as Fall only or Spring only, etc.
24. Send advisors to Wing meetings in Residence Hall—Ras already have to do programs.
25. Students don’t explore their UCA space and don’t find their PIN number.
26. Advisors should not send freshmen a PIN number without an advising meeting!!!!!
27. Only juniors and seniors should be able to register themselves.
28. Students are not taking their developmental courses in the correct order—need more advising, not less!!!!!
- Improving student life – more clubs, activities, postive weekend activities, etc.
- Identify additional scholarship opportunities and be better at improving the communication of these to students, departments, faculty, etc.
- Increased opportunities for national and international travel and educational exchanges
- Inconsistent experiences in similar courses and across courses depending on instructor
- Lack of understanding of how to teach introductory classes or how to relate these classes to overall educational goals
- Teacher’s accents make the spoken word incomprehensible
- Teachers may be nice but their pedagogy lacks and students confuses their niceness with good teaching
- Need to have consistency of outcomes in same courses so can measure apples with apples, etc.
- Need all technology to be consistent (2003/2007) and Macs available for graphic arts students who need access at times 24/7
- Seems like you are doing quite a bit already.
- Sometimes, you wonder if teaching and learning are the central focus; so much else has to be done now, with so many additional responsibilities.
- Faculty are devoted to teaching and learning; it is up to the students.
- Unsure. This is not our forte.
- The money spent for Falcon Center could have been spent for updating academic buildings, such as HHH, which is outdated.
- Clean windows
- If a student cares about learning, they will learn, find their advisor, and succeed.
- Heating and cooling in each classroom needs to be checked in each classroom.
- Need to have the basics taken care of, such as chalk in each room.
- Keep lights off, heating and cooling within ranges—Falcon Center lights need to be turned off.
- Hard for faculty to make time to make the little tables for outcomes, particularly if they don’t see how it relates to teaching.
- There are some contradictory goals—want faculty to sit in their offices and work on outcomes, but also want them to get to know each other.
- Assessment software is high.
- Have to have it.
Very broad question.
- Encourage faculty to attend the end-of-year lecture—perhaps put on evaluation form.
- Have each department represented by a faculty lecture each year? And encourage faculty to attend lectures in other departments.
- Very few professors were at the student research presentation. Support students and their research programs.
- Staff are having a hard time getting involved because they are not receiving information such as Tracts (hadn’t heard of that before now).
- Events are viewed as “another thing I have to do.”
- Teaching and learning is about learning from each other, from our students, etc.
- Campus growing quickly and need to establish new traditions.
- Put faculty and staff photos online.
- Update faculty directory and include headshots.
- Proximas available and some sort of computer where we can use jump drives.
- Need to be more accessible to students in wheelchairs campuswide. Go around campus in a wheelchair to assess accessibility. Develop guide that tells the best way to get from Place A to Place B using the most accessible route.
- Falcon Center doors to balcony are locked—should be open and accessible to faculty and others.
See above. Plus have a nice theater. At least upgrade seats. If on stage, can’t hear anything. Move forward on Folk Life Center.
Crank it back a year.
so many people don’t know a thing about Wiki. Have faculty go over it with students.
Adjust the timeline, but adjusting it too much will give the impression it will continue to change and never be met.
We need to prioritize technology for the classrooms. The students are expecting technology in their classrooms since their prior experiences have included them. The reporting process needs to be public and clarified so that classroom issues can be addressed immediately (or as close as possible).
Everyone needs to buy-in to the idea of outcomes and assessment for programs to keep that moving forward.
More emphasis needs to be put on putting value on teaching and learning so that it will be easier to remain focused. The evaluation system needs to be aligned with what is important – teaching perhaps over service, particularly with a 15+ credit load.
Can we identify the needs we are looking to address and identify the technology that will meet those needs rather than require a fully-outfitted situation at once. Minimally, replace blackboards with whiteboards (the kind that use markers, not the electronic kind), an Internet connection, and a computer w/ Proxima.
Consider replacing the chairs with desks attached with tables and chairs which are more conducive of learning for adults and providing a professional institution. The same goes with cleanliness, paint, and flooring – these aesthetic properties leave a bad impression and in some cases are a health issue (in cases of mustiness, mold, etc.).
General Comments Set the bar higher, I went to a bigger school and it was harder so I had to work harder. Student voiced a perception that things are easy here (compared to WVU).
Should have specific entrance requirements for all university programs, students would have to work harder to get into the program they want to get into.
21 year old age requirement for living off campus should be eliminated, especially for international students. It is cheaper to live off campus.
Time spend explaining OBE (Outcomes-Based Education) to student at the table.
Tie progress in writing and assessing course and program outcomes to pay raises.
Lots of people have different opinions about these topics.
Source of funding, look at discipline specific organizations, (eg NSF, HIH) who may be supporting OBE initiatives. Are there CJ or business organizations or foundations that have funding arms for educational improvement?
Effective facilities Environmental conditions 98° in January and 110° in May (Hardway).
Progress is being made in installation of projectors, but there is no maintenance plan or replacement plan. It has been suggested that Bob Moffett have 4 or 5 projectors in his shop, complete with appropriate ceiling mounts so that they can be quickly replaced when a classroom projector dies. We have gone entire semesters waiting for projectors to be replaced.
Faculty development week, if there are changes in the institution provide training for faculty and staff, such as blackboard or Wikki. Any changes or improvements provide the training necessary for specific knowledge. More advertising of the services we have to offer. Grants or donors. Ask Fairmont foundations to fund workshops.
What suggestions do you have for making our current facilities more effective for teaching and learning? Smart technology in more rooms, fix air conditioning, heating, paint, new desks, furniture. More materials for each field to better educate students.
We recommend that it goes back one year.
- More professional development funding needs to be available overall. Money for initiatives that the Dean wants to push forth, that are specific to your needs.
- More relevant offerings during Faculty Development Week. Geared toward specific areas not always the general population.
- Have the Fall Faculty Development week on institutional issues, then the Spring Faculty Development week geared toward departmental issues individualized to specific areas and interests.
- Needs to be relevant to be of worth.
- Need for professional development funds for faculty within the Colleges. Costs are rising. It’s getting difficult to cover needs. Having funds to not only send people to trainings, but to bring the training to campus focused toward a specific department or group of faculty.
- Partner with other institutions to share the expenses and the training of both institutions. Cost-effective and reduces cost to us.
Minimum classroom standards? Identified? Has this info been distributed?
Expand the discussion time, it progresses too fast. Deadlines not reasonable. Be realistic of faculty time to return feedback. Set limits of how much is requested and have periods in between where nothing is required so faculty can focus on their teaching and “real jobs.” Time period selection: faculty have more energy in the Fall, don’t require so much in the Spring term.
- Institution needs to move more expeditiously on a decision about the software system (adjust timeline and prioritize)
- Write assessments that are outcome based which will force change in pedagogy
- Rethink assignment of advisors—do all faculty need to advise?
- PIN registration is not working!