Fairmont State University has planned a week of activities in celebration of Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week on Monday through Friday, Feb. 10-14.
The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation is an internationally recognized non-profit organization founded upon the powerful belief in kindness and dedicated to providing resources and tools that encourage acts of kindness. The Foundation sponsors International RAK Week, which is Feb. 10-16. For more information or to share stories, photos and ideas, visit randomactsofkindness.org.
Fairmont State’s activities are being coordinated by the Office of Civic Engagement.
“Through participation in RAK Week, it is our hope that we will inspire FSU students to practice kindness and pass it on to others. There are several sanctioned events occurring throughout campus during the week, however, we encourage students, faculty and staff to individually practice random acts of kindness this week and throughout the year. From simply holding the door for someone to buying a coffee for the person behind you in line at the campus Starbucks, there are limitless ways to be kind on campus,” said Amy Drvar, Civic Engagement Coordinator.
This RAK Week schedule of activities includes the following:
- Monday, Feb. 10, 8:30 to 10 a.m., on the sidewalk near Hardway Hall, the Turley Student Services and Colebank Hall: The kick-off event will feature free hot chocolate and RAK Week cards.
- Tuesday, Feb. 11, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Ruth Ann Musick Library: At this event, attendees can create kindness bookmarks to be placed in reserved textbooks for students to find throughout the year and to be donated to the Marion County Public Library.
- Wednesday, Feb. 12, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Main Street area on the second floor of the Falcon Center: Highlighters will be given away to students so they can give them to a friend. Also, during this time students, faculty and staff are invited to stop by the Shout It Out Loud table to share what they’ve done for RAK Week and to write their kind deeds on slips of paper that will be attached to the RAK display in the Falcon Center.
- Thursday, Feb. 13, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Main Street area on the second floor of the Falcon Center: Participants can make their own thank-you cards for friends, students, faculty or staff.
- Friday, Feb. 14, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Main Street area on the second floor of the Falcon Center: Students can participate in a Snapshot for Kindness photo booth.
“We look forward to seeing the kindness that Fairmont State University can display,” Drvar said. “Be sure to tweet about your Random Act of Kindness using #RAKWeek and change your Facebook and Twitter profile photos to the RAK Week logo to help spread the kindness.”