Classified Staff Council
September 18, 2003
PRESENT: Diana Phillips, President; Heather Shumate, Elizabeth McCutcheon, Beverly Jones, Louella Rennie, Ann Lester, Steve Leach
There may be an additional election if council approves the original alternates: Nancy Parks and Katiy Hartzell.
Classified Employee of the Year: The council plans to meet weekly to plan the Classified Employee of the Year Award Luncheon. The date chosen for this is October 22.
• Diana Phillips will contact the President’s office for his availability.
• President Bradley has agreed council can meet weekly to plan the luncheon.
• The availability of the Dining Hall, Aladdin.
• Ballroom is available for luncheon.
• Diana will talk with Georgeann in the print shop for printing.
• We still have the decorations used before. Should we ask for donations again?
• We will sell raffle tickets for three parking passes. Two passes will be purchased by council and one will be donated by Rick Porto-Finance.
• Consider raffle for a computer, as done before. Ann Lester will ask H.L. Heaster.
Steve Leach said the budget is usually $500 and will check with Mort Gamble. He will see if there is Staff Development money for this. Gifts to be given from the $500 gift from the Foundation, one gift to family, one to classified.
The new constitution is on the web and minutes are to be sent to Chuck Manly.
Diana will represent Classified Staff at the Board of Governors meetings. The next meeting is October 2, 2003.
The budget committee will meet next week to begin discussion on where to take more budget cuts. Some options could be: Restricted or non-restricted budget cuts, Operations, Travel, Equipment, Indirect Costs, and programs. Summer School could be considered, could we be closed for one month. If so, would a low-earnings slip be given? Instructors receive five pays in summer. Also, not hiring replacements.
FSC has approximately 474 full-time employees, with 173 Classified, 93 non-classified, 192 faculty, including over 200 adjuncts, 60 part-time employees, and 6-8 Kelley employees. Discussion about how a 9 percent budget cut would affect the 4 year vs. 2 year schools and how budget cuts would be split.
Council will meet on Wednesday, September 24, 2:00 p.m., room 309Ed to begin planning the Employee of Year luncheon.