A lockdown is ordered any time it is unsafe to leave the building. A lockdown will be ordered by the Campus Police Department or other designated authority. You may be notified of a lockdown by various means including public address systems, paging notification systems, mass e-mails, text messaging, web site, telephone notification or other means available based on circumstances of the incident.
DURING LOCKDOWN YOU SHOULD:
- Remain calm.
- Remain in your assigned area so a full accounting can be made of everyone inside of the building.
- Close and lock doors. Stay away from all windows and doors. Turn off all lights and remain silent. Do not use cell phones except for emergency notification to Campus Police at (304) 367-4357.
- Move to a location in the room which is not visible to someone looking through the door. If gunshots are heard everyone should move to the floor.
- Students and staff in hallways or other open areas must proceed immediately to a classroom or office where they can safely be locked in. If a classroom or office door is locked, proceed to the next closest available room to take cover.
- If you see someone other than emergency personnel attempting to enter the building notify (304) 367-4357 IMMEDIATELY.
- NO ONE SHOULD LEAVE THE SECURED ROOM UNTIL DIRECTED TO DO SO BY THE AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY PERSONNEL.
- If building becomes unsafe, evacuate only if safe to do so.